I don’t know where you are in the world, but where I am: its currently freezing. Are my fingers and toes even part of my body? Because I can’t feel them!!!! Solution: creamy tomato soup! Do you want to know the best part about this soup? It’s so creamy, like so creamy. But guess what? THERES NO CREAM IN IT! I know. Blows my mind every time. that’s how perfectly delicious tomatoes are, got their own inner creamy glow. Anyway, enough about the cream. Let’s soup it up!
FACT OF THE DAY:
TOMATOES: They’re riddled with Lycopene – a super duper extremely powerful antioxidant that has plenty of health benefits, like: sun protection, improved heart health and a lower risk of certain types of cancer. This is more than enough reason to make this yummy soup!
INGREDIENTS: serves about 6 hearty helpings
- 2 x large carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 x garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 liter hot water with 2 x vegetable stock cubes
- 400 g tinned whole tomatoes
- 8 fresh whole tomatoes
- A handful of fresh basil
- Salt, pepper to season
1. I know I say easy peezy lemon squeezy a LOT. But this really is!
2. Cut your carrots into teeny weeny pieces and your onion and garlic too. Throw them into your pot and add the olive oil, let them simmer in there with the lid on until they are silky soft.
3. Prep your stock whilst you wait for them to soften. 2 cubes of veg stock in 1 liter of water. Stir and stir baby, until perfectly dissolved and stocky.
4. Once the veg is soft, throw in your stock. Give it a whirl and then throw in your tinned tomatoes too. And then go ahead and through in your whole tomatoes too – stalk and all (no cutting or slicing of tomatoes needed)
5. Give it a whirl around and let it boil with the lid on for about 15 minutes, or when everything is nice and soft.
6. Once it’s all soft throw in your basil leaves and your salt and pepper to give it that extra loving. Your almost there….
7. Finally, its blitzing time. I used a hand blender and blended my soup until it was perfectly creamy and delicious. You also have the option to throw it in your blender or whatever else you’ve got popping around the kitchen. But from personal experience, hand blending soup is a lot less clean up!
8. Finally, eat it! Mmmmmm. And don’t forget to treat yourself with some freshly baked break too. Yumalooooo.
“vegan from my head tomatoes!!!!”
— a classic veganer