Learning to eat the rainbow…
You know that beautiful, sparkly arc in the sky that's usually made up of a ray of different colours and only comes out when sunlight hits water droplets, therefore it usually appears after a storm or rainy weather? Yes, the rainbow. The beautiful, beautiful rainbow that usually gives us that butterfly feeling of hope and peace from our toes to the tip of our nose. That amazing phenomenon seeing all the colours (ROYGBIV for those of you who don't remember: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) light up the sky in perfect harmony, that allows us to appreciate the storms that much more. Well, as amazing as it is to see it and feel it, now – YOU CAN EAT IT TOO! Now imagine those warm fuzzy feelings you get from seeing it, how much more exaggerated those feelings will be after putting all that goodness in your tummy!
And no, I'm not talking about waiting for a storm to pass and going outside trying to eat the rainbow-like a little leprechaun at the end of it, no no no… Mamma nature is so kind and so thoughtful that she gave us our very own rainbow in the shape of fruits and vegetables that when eating it will cause a whirlwind of health and happiness that floats through our bodies like a drug… and will make our insides shine just like that pretty little ray of colours you see outside your window whilst mister golden sun sneaks through the rainy days.
Let me take you through this glorious land-based, very attainable, rainbow I am going on about. Ever made a meal that was just plain brown and kind of made you feel just plain old bland on the inside too? Well, duh! Ever heard the saying: you are what you eat?
THAT'S EXACTLY MY POINT! Eat the rainbow, and become the rainbow. As simple as that! So my ever hopeful wish for us creative humans on this planet earth (and possibly other planets, I hope this for them too), is that we live a life that is so rich in sunshine and rainbows and that we live and breathe health and happiness and are just so perfectly content in our wonderful, gratitude-filled lives – and the best news is, THIS IS SO EASY! Trust me, we all are so capable of living these wonderful lives we have always dreamed of, and like I always say- a healthy outside starts from the inside. So, start your healthy inside today, eat your rainbow every day I beg of you! Okay enough chit chat about world peace, what is the rainbow I am talking about…
EATING THE RAINBOW
We encourage all fellow homo sapiens to eat the rainbow, why? Well for the very simple reason that by eating the rainbow you are giving your body all the vitamins and minerals it needs to thrive. Mamma nature wanted to make it real simple for us to get all the nutrients we need, that she grouped certain fruits and vegetables into certain categories based on their phytonutrients and made each group a certain colour- so that we would find it very easy to consume all the necessary nutrients and vitamins and minerals we need because simply by eating the rainbow, we become, how they say – nutrient-rich which will take you to happy and healthy! THANK YOU, mamma nature, for making it so simple! Let's talk through the colours and what they mean:
RED/PINK FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
EXAMPLES: raspberries, tomatoes, chilli, strawberries, watermelon, etc.
BENEFITS: these are our anti-cancer/disease-fighting and preventing babies
- Reduces risks of certain cancers, diabetes, heart disease
- Improves your skin quality
- Fights off the damaging free radicals
ORANGE/YELLOW FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
EXAMPLES: oranges, mangoes, carrots, butternut, lemon etc.
BENEFITS: in a nutshell – welcome vitamins (especially high in vitamin C) and fibre!
- Improves immune system
- Helps protects your eyes and vision
- Keeps the skin healthy and young and safe from the sun and any pollutants
GREEN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
EXAMPLES: broccoli, spinach, kiwi, kale, etc.
BENEFITS: the big dog - the man with the plan. Our greatest source of fibre yet!
- Detoxes our beautiful bodies
- Feeds us with digestive enzymes
- Enhances our immune system
- Natures source of real, natural energy and completely revitalizes you!
BLUE/INDIGO FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
EXAMPLES: blueberries, aubergine, purple cabbage, blackberries, etc.
BENEFITS: our yummiest source of anti-inflammatory yet!
- Helps prevents all kinds of diseases in all shapes and sizes
- Promotes anti-aging and a very long and happy life
- Feeling forgetful? These delicious monsters will help make your memory that much stronger!
WHITE/BROWN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
EXAMPLES: bananas, cauliflower, onion, garlic, potatoes ect.
BENEFITS: assists in lowering any bad cholesterol
- Fights and protects against any risks of cancers, heart disease, etc.
- A good old natural way of balancing our fluctuating hormones
- No breaking of bones here, these guys give you strong, healthy bones!
See how important it is to eat the rainbow? Not only is it pretty but it's delicious AND nutritious, what more could you ask for? Now that you know what each colour stands for, and what each different type of fruit and vegetable can do for you – I cross my fingers and toes that you give yourself the gift of the rainbow every single day! Be kind to yourself, you deserve it! And of course, I wouldn't leave you here in the dark, here's a recipe to help you make the tastiest yummiest rainbow bowl of dreams that will leave you overflowing with love and health:
NO RAIN. NO RAINBOWLS
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
This is such a yummyful, wholesome meal that there is no going back to bland and boring.
Only rainbows will be eaten from now on!!!!
Only rainbows will be eaten from now on!!!!
- 0.5 cup of quinoa
- 1.5 cup of water
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Half an avocado
- 1 x tomato
- 0.5 cup of chopped purple cabbage
- 0.5 cup mushrooms
- 0.5 cup of butternut
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease the pan with any oil of your choice.
- Finely chop the mushrooms and season with a dash of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and paprika and place onto one half of the pan.
- Chop your butternut into small pieces and season with a dash of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and some paprika and place on the other side of the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven for 25 minutes. At 10 minutes give them a move around so that they don't burn.
- Place your quinoa in a pot along with a pinch of salt, and the water and bring the quinoa to boil. Once it starts boiling bring the temperature down and allow quinoa to simmer on low heat until the grains have soaked up all the water in the pot and become nice and fluffy.
- Prepare and cut your avocado, tomato and cabbage and keep them separate (purely just because this will make your buddha bowl that much more rainbow beautiful)
- Once the quinoa, mushrooms and butternut are ready you can now build your delicious and nutritious rainbow bowl!
- Place the quinoa at the bottom of the bowl first, and then place the rest of the ingredients in their little sections of the bowl purely just for presentation (doesn't matter how you eat the thing after you've taken your photo of all your loving work)
- And voila, your rainbow is ready to go into your tummy and to be absorbed into your entire being. Mmmmmm.
- For extras: I had a simple tahini dressing on top, along with some extra seeds all over it just for that little extra crunch. But the world is your oyster, do with your rainbow whatever your heart desires! But please eat it, and when you do, do it with love and gratitude. Xxxx
Tahini dressing: satisfying and oh so simple!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1/3rd cup tahini
- 1 x juiced lemon
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 x pinch of sea salt
- 1 x garlic cloves
- 5 tablespoons of water
The easiest part of making it is the how. Place all your ingredients in a little bowl and stir and mix until your heart's content. And pour generously onto your beautiful tasty, wholesome rainbow buddha bowl!
“The entire universe is conspiring to give you everything that you want…”
— ABRAHAM HICKS