It’s holiday season ladies and gents what a time to be alive! Its been a long, cold winter - and if you’re anything like us, you are so ready for your summer road trip.
You’re bound to be in a car at some point this holiday, and rather than stopping off in the middle of timbuknowhere to grab the oilest packet of nutrionLESS crisps because nothing in the shop is vegan, let’s drive prepared. So that you and your loved ones can keep that belly happy and healthy. So, here’s what’s in our coolie on a road trip:
Obviously, my numero uno is:
1. A flask of coffee, because burnt roadside instant just does NOT tickle our fancy
2. Lots and lots of water, sometimes even infused with our fave fruit, as a little treat
3. Loads of apples, oranges and litchi’s and easy fruit you can just eat on the run
And then we have the slightly more complicated options on the menu - which take some night-before prepping!
4. JAR OF CRUDITES:
If you read our blog, you know we love hummus. So don’t think i’m going to sit in a car and not eat hummus! We usually get a jar out of the cupboard, put some hummus at the bottom and then cut some carrots, cucumber, celery, and peppers and put it all in the jar with the lid on. Make sure you keep this somewhere cool! This is the best boredom cure on that 12 hour trip.
5. THE SARMI OF ALL SARMI’S:
We are sourdough FREAKS! So a car trip without it would just be wrong. I usually prep about 2 sarmi’s for each of us, slice ‘em up into bite size and keep them fresh and snug in a container.
My go-to toppers?
- Tahini, pesto, avo, tomato, cucumber, rocket and salt & pepper.
The tummy’s will be very happy I promise!
6. BANANA OAT MUFFINS:
These are actually always in our house, because they’re so easy to make and perfect for that in-between meal craving!
Ingredients: throw all of this into a blender and blend away!
- Handful of dates
- 1 cup banana
- 1 TBS peanut butter
- 1 TBS tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 0.5 water
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
How: makes 8 muffins
- Set the oven for 180 degrees Celsius
- Lightly grease your muffin tray
- Blend all ingredients into your blender, once fully blended add them to your muffin tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- That’s it!
7. NUT AND SEED BARS
Okay, these are amazing, drool worthy pieces of heaven! They do require a nice cold coolie for the trip though. But these will hit those sweet cravings right in the nose!
We use this recipe from the minimalist baker - and we are obsessed!
8. CHICKPEA CHIPS
Who doesn’t like a good crunch on a road trip? These are the best replacement for chips on a roadie - healthy, fulling and just so delicious!
- A cup of cooked chickpeas, rinsed and dried
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: some salt and vinegar flavouring, or even chutney is real good!
- Prep an oven tray and place the oven on 200 degrees.
- Put the chickpeas in the tray along with the oil and Salt and Pepper, and mix it all around with your hands.
- Place in the oven and mix around every 5 minutes or so.
- Once they are crispy and golden - they’re ready.
- I usually let them cool a little, put them in a jar and throw some extra spice in there and shake it up - extra flavour never hurt nobody!
And that’s basically a wrap on what we eat on a road trip. Trust me its good, and just because you’re on holiday doesn’t mean we forget about nourishing ourselves.
If healthy options aren’t accessible to you 24/7, then do something about it! Your body is worth 5 minutes prep the evening before.
Anyway little holiday munchkins, soak up the sun, eat well, laugh, and laugh some more and most importantly stay healthy and safe!
All our love,