Welcome to week two of our SLEEP WELLNESS month, in collaboration with HomeTime sleepwear. Today we're talking all things sleep and mental wellness. If you haven't already read lasts weeks blog post, we suggest you do - as it'll give you a little context into sleep and all it's wonders. If you already have read the previous blog, well hunny - let's dive right in.
We're all pretty well aquatinted with the term "mental wellness" and i think we are all on a journey to experience more joy in our lives. And do you want an easy solution to feel more joy? Sleep. Yip, It’s that simple. When we push through those late nights, or binge watch Desperate Housewives until 2am, and wake up at 6am for a new day – we are not showing up as the best version of ourselves, and we’re seeing the world in a “glass half empty” kind of way, when really, the world is so much prettier when the “glass is half full” – so, we sleep.
Here’s a little peek into why we our mental wellbeing is so thankful when we get our 8 hours rest:
- Mood and Emotions: When we're sleep-deprived, it becomes harder to manage our emotions effectively, leading to increased irritability, mood swings, and a generally negative outlook. On the other hand, getting sufficient sleep can help stabilize our emotions and promote a more positive and balanced mental state.
- Cognitive Function and Clarity: Sleep is like a power-up for our brain. It's during sleep that our brains consolidate memories, process information, and restore cognitive function. When we're well-rested, our ability to think clearly, concentrate, and make decisions improves.
- Stress Reduction: Enough sleep acts as a natural stress reliever. When we sleep, our bodies and minds have a chance to recover from the day's stressors. It helps regulate the stress hormone cortisol, reducing overall stress levels. Without enough sleep, our stress response can become heightened, making us more vulnerable to stressors and less resilient in coping with challenges.
- Creativity and Problem-Solving: Sleep supports our creative thinking and problem-solving abilities. During sleep, our brains continue to work on tough tasks, making connections, reorganizing thoughts, and generating creative insights, so, getting ample sleep nurtures our creativity and helps us approach challenges with renewed mental agility.
- Mental Resilience and Well-being: Sleep contributes to our ability to handle daily stress, cope with adversity, and maintain a positive outlook. When we prioritize sleep and give our bodies and minds the rest they need, we are better equipped to face life's challenges with greater emotional stability, mental clarity, and overall mental wellness.
So, getting enough sleep isn't just about feeling refreshed physically; it has an insane and magical impact on our mental health as well. It's an investment in our well-being, helping us stay balanced, focused, and emotionally grounded in our daily lives, giving us the strength we need to make the most out of this very short, wonderful life.