If you know, you know. Rusks are a staple here in South Africa, they are best for car snacks and game drives and after your morning surf paired with a fresh brew. And finally, we are gifting you with a vegan, delicious recipe. Good people deserve good rusks!
- 8 cups self-raising flour (1kg bag)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 cups of all bran flakes
- 0.5 cups of seeds/raisins/granola/anything else you fancy
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 x flax eggs
- 500 ml vegan buttermilk (we do 500ml plant milk with 2 TBS lemon juice, mix it together and leave to stand for 5 minutes)
- 450g plant butter (melted-we use flora)
- Place the oven on 180 degrees Celsius.
- grease a large baking tray.
- mix wet ingredients together.
- mix dry ingredients together.
- bake at 180 degrees celsius for 10 minutes, then at 160 degrees celsius for 40 minutes. You’ll know when they cooked, they will be a light golden brown colour and hollow when you tap them).
- Take them out and let them cool in the tin.
- Once cooled, cut them into rusks (any size you like) and place them on baking trays. You will need another baking tray at this point, as rusks need space between them to dry out.
- Put them back in the oven on 100 degrees celsius for 3-4 hours.
Enjoy it darling, you deserve it!